The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) in Abuja has begun interrogating all military personnel attached to Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State, following the abduction of 26 schoolgirls by terrorists on November 17.
The investigation focuses on the sudden withdrawal of troops from the school shortly before the attack, which left the students vulnerable.
During the raid, the school’s Vice Principal, Malam Hassan Makuku, was killed, while two students managed to escape. The remaining 24 girls were released earlier this week following government negotiations.
Governor Nasir Idris of Kebbi State had earlier demanded a probe into the withdrawal of military personnel, noting that intelligence had indicated the school was a potential target. The District Head of Maga, Muhammad Dantani, said the soldiers left around 1 a.m., forcing police on site to take cover due to the attackers’ superior numbers and firepower.
“The number of bandits and their firepower were overwhelming. With the army absent, the police could not engage without risking certain death,” Dantani explained.
Security sources confirmed that troops from the Zuru Army Barracks have been summoned to Abuja for questioning. While initial rescue attempts by the military failed, surveillance and strategic communication led to the girls’ safe release near the Gusau-Kebbi State border. Officials emphasised that negotiations played a role, but the children were unharmed, and medical checks confirmed no sexual abuse occurred.
Despite the traumatic incident, parents of the rescued girls have pledged to continue sending their children to school. Mallam Ibrahim Naibi said, “My children will go to school. It is a promise I made to them, and by God’s will, I will keep it.” Other community members echoed the sentiment, stressing the importance of education for their children’s future.
The DHQ has yet to release a formal statement on the investigation, but top military sources said anyone found culpable in the security lapse would be held accountable. Meanwhile, authorities continue to review procedures to prevent such incidents in the future.
The abduction has heightened public concern over security in the North, highlighting challenges in protecting schools and vulnerable communities from armed groups.









