Opposition parties on Saturday faulted President Bola Tinubu’s latest ambassadorial nominations, accusing the Presidency of using key diplomatic postings to compensate political allies rather than strengthen Nigeria’s foreign engagement.
Tinubu had earlier sent a consolidated list of 35 nominees to the Senate, including 15 career diplomats and 17 non-career nominees, his first full set of foreign appointments since recalling all ambassadors in 2023 to overhaul Nigeria’s diplomatic strategy.
However, the Peoples Democratic Party, African Democratic Congress and the New Nigeria Peoples Party criticised several non-career picks, particularly the inclusion of former INEC Chairman Mahmood Yakubu. The parties described his nomination as poor judgment and damaging to the country’s image abroad.
PDP spokesperson, Ini Ememobong, argued that posting individuals with “controversial public records” risked granting diplomatic immunity to those who might later face accountability questions. He said many Nigerians would view Yakubu’s selection as a political reward.
Similarly, ADC spokesman Bolaji Abdullahi dismissed the list as “settling IOUs,” questioning why the government delayed two years only to present nominees he said lacked urgency and clarity of purpose. He also suggested that obtaining agrément from major countries such as the US and UK might stretch beyond the 2026 general elections.
But the ruling APC rejected the criticism, insisting the opposition was being mischievous. Its National Publicity Director, Bala Ibrahim, defended Yakubu’s eligibility, arguing that former electoral chiefs in the past had also taken public roles without controversy.
The Presidency said the envoys would receive their specific country postings after Senate confirmation.









