The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters have been killed in multiple US-Nigeria air strikes in Metele, Borno state.
Samaila Uba, director of defence information at the DHQ, in a statement on Monday, said the strikes followed “observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements”.
“The ongoing operations follow the neutralisation of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield and deny the terrorists any safe haven within Nigeria,” the statement reads.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation.
“Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.
“There will be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria.”
The United States Africa Command (US-Africom) confirmed the development on its website, stating that the “kinetic strikes against ISIS in Northeastern Nigeria” were carried out on Sunday in coordination with the Nigerian government.
“Intelligence confirmed the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed,” US-Africom said.
“The removal of these terrorists diminishes the group’s capacity to plan attacks that threaten the safety and security of the U.S. and our partners.”
Last Saturday, US President Donald Trump announced that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, ISIS second-in-command, had been killed in Nigeria.
Trump said al-Minuki was killed in a “complex mission” carried out by Nigerian and American troops.
The US president shared updates of the operation in a social media post in the wee hours of Saturday.









