‘Take Me Instead,’ Husband Of Abducted Oyo Teacher Begs Kidnappers

Ayo

The husband of Mary Akanbi, one of the teachers abducted during last Friday’s attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, has made an emotional appeal to the kidnappers to release his wife and their 18-month-old child and take him instead.

The distraught man made the plea in a viral video from an interview with media personality Chude Jideonwo, who visited Ogbomoso following the deadly attacks on schools in the area.

Gunmen had stormed Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and LA Primary School in Oriire LGA, killing two persons and abducting dozens of pupils, teachers and a school principal.

Reports indicated that at least 45 schoolchildren were kidnapped during the attacks, while one of the abducted teachers was later reportedly killed by the attackers.

Speaking in the viral video, the husband of the abducted teacher lamented the security situation in the community, alleging that residents had been left without protection.

“We the victims, are the only people remaining in the community, with no security personnel and no protection whatsoever. Most of the security personnel who tried the rescue mission were all wasted,” he said.

He emotionally appealed to the kidnappers to free his wife and child, insisting he was ready to surrender himself in their place.

“I will gladly give myself to them for the sake of my wife and my child. Let them free my wife and my child and just take me instead.

“I am in the exact community where my family was taken. Let them come for me instead. They have taken everything; they have ruined my life,” he added.

In another viral video recorded in captivity, the abducted teacher had appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde to intervene and secure the release of the kidnapped victims.

Reacting to the incident on Monday, President Tinubu condemned the abduction and described the reported killing of one of the teachers as “barbaric.”

“I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community,” the president said.

“I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.”

The president also disclosed that joint efforts were ongoing between the Federal Government and Oyo State authorities to rescue those still in captivity.

“The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims,” he added.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Exit mobile version